Thursday, January 07, 2010

Celeriac Pancakes & Panir Mayonnaise

Celeriac Pancakes, (page 85) and  Panir Mayonnaise (page 503) are the 2 recipes from Heaven's Banquet that I prepared today for our lunch. Celeriac was in our local health food store, so I decided to give it a try. Miriam describes celeriac as looking like a "creature from outer space" which is a really good description of it. She also tells you how to tackle peeling it. Anyway, after it's peeled it reminded me of a turnip in appearance but dryer in texture. After I grated it up, it was like hash browns and I thought it would probably make a great potato substitute. Many of us who have seen a Vaidya have been told not to eat potatoes so we are always looking for other possibilities. The flavor is delicate and the texture is pleasant. I also put some celeriac into our daily dal which I thought was a nice change.

No comments:

Post a Comment