Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Cauliflower and Peas with Tomato

Okay another cauliflower dish but truly, I love these simple veggie dishes with the warming spices. I ran into a little problem when making this recipe, it called for peas but when I went to get them out of the refrigerator they were no longer usable so I substituted Lima beans as you can see if you look closely at the photo.

Today I'm going to look at the recipe in terms of the ingredients and the effects of those ingredients on the three doshas, Vata, Pitta, and Kapha. Vata governs the nervous system and all movement. Pitta governs the process of metabolism and digestion. Kapha governs structure of the body and fluid balance. So for Cauliflower and Peas with Tomato (page 84) the ingredients are:

Cauliflower which balances Pitta and Kapha
Peas which balances Pitta and Kapha
Lima beans (my substitution) balances Pitta and Kapha
Tomato which balances nothing
Fresh ginger which balances Vata and Kapha
Mustard seeds which balances Vata and Kapha
Cumin seeds balance all 3 doshas
Turmeric balances all 3 doshas
Fenugreek balances Vata and Kapha
Cilantro balances all 3 doshas
Salt balancing to Vata
Ghee balancing to all 3 doshas

So it appears to me that this dish is mostly balancing for Kapha and Pitta but the spices add balance for Vata as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment