Monday, October 12, 2009

Tostada with Refried Beans

Today's lunch consisted of three very tasty Tostadas with Refried Beans (page 201). I used all the following recipes from Heaven's Banquet to make them as homemade and ayurvedic as possible.


For the Refried Beans (page 201) I chose black beans instead of pintos because that is what was in the cupboard. As long as you remember to soak them overnight, this part is pretty easy.

The Guacamole (page 279) also very easy and fast. However, I waited until the last minute to make the Guacamole because Miriam says to "prepare no more than an hour in advance..."

The Salsa Cruda (page 507) was easy, fast and delicious. This is the first salsa recipe that I can eat, as I can not tolerate hot and spicy foods.

And lastly, but not easily were the Tortillas (page 353). I was a little confused (and still am) regarding the type of corn to make the tortillas from. I used yellow corn meal but I don't know if that's the same as masa harina or not. Miriam said you can use blue cornmeal, so I was hoping yellow would work too. I have a tortilla press and if it were not for that piece of equipment, I seriously doubt any tortillas would have turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment