Sunday, October 18, 2009

Corn Chowder


Today's lunch consisted of finishing off the last of the summer sweet corn. I made Corn Chowder (page 239).  I've noticed that I'm picking out some pretty fast and easy recipes as I go through the cookbook. I think that's partly because after 7 weeks of cooking from Heaven's Banquet, my idea of what is hard and easy, or fast and slow has changed. I'm more confident in the kitchen. My motivation for eating has shifted too. I used to eat to stop the feeling of hunger or occasionally to socialize with friends and family. But now, I feel more coherent in relation to food. I stopped in the grocery store a few days ago to pick-up a few things. Everything I looked at I'd think, "No... That has this preservative or that other thing... I'll just go home and make my own." So there is some improved field independence from the marketing of food, and the old habits that were comforting to me. Heaven's Banquet gives so many recipes for things we are accustom to buying at the store such as sour cream, yogurt, mayonnaise, cheese, salad dressings and teas; and these recipes are ayurvedic, so no more preservatives or poor food combinations.

No comments:

Post a Comment