Thursday, October 15, 2009

Shepherd's Pie with Vegetables

Shepherd's Pie with Vegetables (page 62) is a wonderful take on the traditional Shepherd's Pie. When I was growing up in England, Shepherd's Pie was my favorite but as an adult vegetarian I had not found a satisfying alternative until now, true comfort food. I used asparagus, yellow squash, parsnips, carrots, celery and sweet red bell pepper as my mixed veggies. I sautéed tofu and added it to the veggies for a more substantial lunch.


Mashed Potatoes (page 123) are used as the top crust. Miriam gives a good explanation about why potatoes are not a favorite of Ayurveda. I've been advised to avoid potatoes by the Vaidya's, so I cut the recipe in half to make a thinner crust of potatoes. It is also a recipe one should avoid for dinner... although; you'll want to eat it for dinner.


Pesto Alla Genovese (510) is a good pesto that I thought might taste nice on some bread or on top of the potatoes. I've found that I like how Miriam adds little garnishes, sauces and other alternative tastes to a major recipe. I cut the oil down a bit to make it a little dryer and was very satisfied with the results.


No comments:

Post a Comment